Hype photographer Katie Davis sat down with Christian Gallé from Earphunk to talk about their new album “Sweet Nasty” before their show in Birmingham, Alabama.
Earphunk’s high-energy set in Birmingham included some new songs from Sweet Nasty, a few of their funky hits and some excellent cover songs including “Kashmir” by Led Zeppelin, “Bulls on Parade” by Rage Against the Machine and “Fame” by David Bowie.
Earphunk’s current release “Sweet Nasty” is now available for free download on BitTorrent Bundle! If you haven’t listened to it yet- you’re missing out!
Here is the link for the album on Earphunk’s page: http://earphunk.com/music/
Interview with Christian Gallé:
How was Earphunk formed?
-We were all in college. The other four guys, not including myself, went to LSU in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I went to Loyola in New Orleans. So they started jamming and I tagged on a little after that. I’ve known Paul the lead guitarist since about 5th grade. So it was kind of an easy transition.
Why did y’all choose not to work 9-5 jobs?
-We thought playing music would be cooler- a little more fun. Well, we kind of do work a 9 to 5. 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
What do you listen to on the way to a show or festival?
– We listen to a lot of different stuff- mostly music, sometimes a Joe Rogan podcast. Older stuff newer stuff, just kind of whatever. I really like this band Snarky Puppy that’s becoming popular.
What is one of the strangest things you’ve seen in a crowd while performing?
– A couple weeks ago a guy tried to pole dance and he just busted his ass. We all started laughing and the sound guy started laughing- it was great.
What is the story behind the album name Sweet Nasty?
– Paul came up with the main riff and he just heard the space and heard that together. Which it’s kind of a funny coincidence, there’s this band, Yo Momma’s Big Fat Booty Band and their bass player Al Al (they are all buddies of ours, we’ve played with them a hand full of times) calls himself Sweet Nasty but he puts two S’s in it like “ass-t”.
Why did y’all choose to release your album on Bit Torrent Bundle and what do you think of the overwhelming response it has received?
– The response is excellent- we really can’t complain in any way! It was a good opportunity that we decided to go with. It’s something new, it’s something tech-y which is kind of up our ally. You know we are all about cutting edge and forgetting the old model trying to do something new and something creative different way to engage fans and gain new fans.
Congrats on being signed with Paradigm, what can the funk nation expect next from Earphunk?
– We worked hard pushing this album out. There are defiantly some songs- some new material brewing. There is actually a couple of things that we are performing live already. So keep an ear out.